It is little wonder that wheatgrass is considered a superfood by many nutritionists. The benefits of consuming this wholesome food are numerous. Below are the seven top reasons that wheatgrass benefits most of my clients who are in search of health and wellness tips:
- It is loaded with vitamins and nutrients – Wheatgrass contains high levels of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as calcium, magnesium, and amino acids. It also contains chlorophyll, which has a number of health-related benefits and is often used in holistic medicine.
- It is a complete protein (20%) – Foods that are high in protein are necessary for maintaining muscle mass and they can assist in weight loss by keeping you feeling full longer than foods that are primarily carbohydrates.
- It is high in enzymes – Wheatgrass is loaded with digestive enzymes that the body needs to metabolize foods. This superfood contains three types of digestive enzymes:
- Amylase: This enzyme is necessary to metabolize carbohydrates. It reduces both simple and complex carbohydrates into glucose, which your body can then use for energy.
- Protease: This enzyme is necessary to metabolize proteins. Consuming wheatgrass prior to a protein rich meal can help your body turn the proteins into necessary amino acids, which is a necessary step for fueling muscles and producing hormones and antibodies.
- Lipase: This enzyme is necessary to metabolize fats. It plays a crucial role in the digestion, transportation, and processing of fats, oils and other dietary lipids by metabolizing them into fatty acids that can be used to fuel the body and brain.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory – You know those enzymes we just mentioned? They do more than assist in the metabolism. They can also act as anti-inflammatory agents. In fact, a 2002 report concluded that consuming wheatgrass juice is an effective treatment for ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory condition of the colon.
- It improves blood-sugar levels – Because the enzyme amylase does such a good job with sugar production, wheatgrass has long been used in holistic medicine for the treatment and prevention of diabetes. While further studies are still needed, preliminary results have shown that consuming wheatgrass has helped to maintain proper blood sugar levels in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- It is a potent detoxifier – According to the Hippocrates Health Institute, wheatgrass “has a long tradition as a blood cleanser” and “is a powerful, detoxifying agent that builds red blood cells.” Some proponents of wheatgrass detoxification state that it results in healthier skin and hair.
- It restores alkalinity to the blood – Cancer cells grow and thrive in an acidic body. Keeping your body is a slightly alkaline state is important for the prevention of chronic low-grade metabolic acidosis, which can lead to bloating, cramping, headaches, and other health problems. Fortunately for consumers of wheatgrass, this superfood is highly alkalizing.
It is important to note, however, that wheatgrass benefits do not overcome all obstacles. Those who suffer from certain allergies to grasses or have been diagnosed with Celiac disease may have adverse reactions to consuming this food and should therefore avoid it.