Chocolate may bring pleasure to many of us but in large quantities it can be very dangerous for dogs. The treat contains theobromine, a stimulant found in the cacao plant that can negatively affect the nervous system of dogs. Have your dog examined by a vet if it ingests a large amount.

According to Talk to the Vet, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate, which is less toxic than baker’s chocolate.

Some of the symptoms of chocolate toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination, hyper/restless, panting hard, fast heart rate and excessive thirst. For more foods your pet should avoid, visit our EXPLORE section.